I had Roux En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery on May 26, 2010

And I want to share my experiences with you!


Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week 4

Week 4 was tons better than week 3. I haven't posted much as my husband Ben had his surgery on Wednesday the 23rd. I did my last post on his surgery day while I was waiting around the hospital and then waiting for him to become alert enough to hold a conversation that included more than 5 or so words. Turns out, Ben did GREAT! He was doing wonderful walks by Thursday evening, and didn't take any narcotics after leaving the hospital! What a wonderful surprise!

My eating has become less bothersome for me. I'm mostly doing better balancing the food intake and the water intake. I even ate MEAT over the weekend! I cooked some chicken and added it to soup and I made meatloaf "muffins" (regular meatloaf made in muffin cups so that I could easily freeze, store, and later reheat what I could not eat.... thanks to my co-worker Jessica for the idea!) on Saturday. Yum! I hadn't realized how much I was missing meat protein!

I am still walking, but not quite as diligently as I should. I did get my Mom out with me to walk around the roads around the hospital on Ben's surgery day. It was hot and hilly, and my calves ached the next day, but it felt good after sitting around in the hospital!

I've had coworkers remark on how big my clothes are already and aren't I excited about getting a new wardrobe... Hmmm. I would be if it weren't going to be a temporary one! Who wants to buy real clothes that will essentially become "disposable"? I mean, I will not be buying fabulous things unless I find them on the clearance rack because I'll only be wearing them a month or so --- if I'm lucky! I can't wait to rebuild my wardrobe when I'm another 100 lbs lighter, though. THAT will be fabulous! I'm thinking Jones New York, Talbots, and other wonderful outlet stores!

According to my scale at home, I am down to about 240. The scale changes a bit day to day, sometimes a bit higher, sometimes suddenly lower. I'm saying I've lost about 30 lbs, but some days it's really closer to 35. Just depends on if I consider my starting weight to be before the low carb, or the official pre-surgery weight of 270. It also varies depending on if I'm on my scale at home or the official one at the doctor's office! I think I'll be excited when I'm truly under 200 lbs. That will be less than Ben has ever seen me, and it's an obvious milestone. Oddly enough, while on one hand that is an entire additional 40 lbs to lose, on the other, I've lost 30 lbs in my first month. CRAZY!

Well, wishing you good eating choices and plenty of energy ..... and if you're low on energy, try an XS Shot. The one I drank this afternoon has me feeling great!

4 comments:

Tom Greenwald said...

Try Salvation Army or thrift stores for your "temporary" new wardrobe. Much easier on the wallet. Then when you are done, you can donate them back! Glad you are doing well and that Ben is also recovering well from surgery. We miss you guys!

Tom Greenwald said...

By the way, the above comment was from Amy. =)

Unknown said...

Jen, I am so happy and proud for both of you. Life is so much more fun, when you can do a variety of things that you can't when you are heavier. I was once at 200. Simple things like walking when you don't have to worry about your legs chafing together. Being able to see your feet in the shower, and I think my favorite memory for me was not having to shop at Lane Bryant. Hoo RAH! Funny, the sad thing is, regardless of how much I weigh, which is now around 140, I will always see and feel like a fat person. Not always, but, for me, the harder part is accepting I can really be that person that can buy a size 8. I STILL to this day go right for the XL size.

I think it's the coolest and bravest thing that you are journaling and sharing your thoughts.

Tell the big guy hey. MJ

Jennifer G said...

But, Amy, that picture doesn't LOOK like you, it looks like TOM! Great idea, and one I expect to explore. MJ, thanks for your kind words!