I had Roux En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery on May 26, 2010

And I want to share my experiences with you!


Monday, May 24, 2010

WOW! 36 hours away!

36 hours until surgery time. WOW!

So, this morning I had my pre-op visits with my surgeon and at the Hospital. They gave me all sorts of booklets and handouts about things to do before the surgery and things not to do after.

I hadn't realized that tomorrow, the day before, my diet is to be clear liquids only. Broth, water, apple juice, no sugar popsicles, etc. And, then, even worse, is the "bowel prep". HUH?!? I guess it's good I wasn't aware of it until today... take 2 dulcolax tablets, then mix in 255 gm Miralax with 64 oz of gatorade and drink that over 2 hours, then take 2 more dulcolax tablets! WHAT?!? Compulsory Bulimia? Ok, ok.... I know. I want my stomach and intestines cleaned out before surgery -- especially the parts that'll be cut off and stay in there. But golly geepers!

And, guess what? NEVER AGAIN will I be allowed to take anti-inflammatories like Advil/Motrin etc. My lil' ol' pouch will be too delicate for the way that stuff handles your stomach. They suggested getting medic alert jewelry. Um, no thanks.

And, just so we're clear, I have all sort of weird diet things the first 5 weeks after surgery. So send flowers, not chocolates! LOL! Check out the five stages: clear liquids, full liquids, pureed/soft, soft food, then, after 5 weeks if I'm tolerating food well, ending up with the Healthy Plan (normal consistency but high protein, lower sugar).




3 comments:

Janna said...

I'm so excited for you! You have such a positive outlook and I know that will really payoff for you! I have enjoyed reading your blog, and I am looking forward to hearing about your successes to come! I will be sure to say some special prayers for you!

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you for doing this and setting a great example for Ben to follow in a few weeks. I am praying that all goes well and you see the pounds just melt away. I love your blogs. Keep them coming.

Jennifer G said...

Thanks so much, ladies!